Miscellaneous

Before You Watch Poobao Indy Yayee Inter…

Before you watch the first episode, there are some Isaan terms that I want to inform you about that I might not explain it while subbing because some terms require more than a few seconds onscreen. And I doubt viewers will pause just to read the little notes. But if you do pause, kudos to you hehe! The setting of this lakorn takes place in a fictional town/village called Coak E-Kerng up north in the province of Nong Khai where population speaks Isaan dialect. These are just some of the terms I came across while subbing that requires more explanation.

Morlum: just a traditional folklore music/singing used by tradional musical instruments.

E/Bak: Technically not insulting, depending on the tone of voice. For central dialect in today’s Thai speaking it is considered disrespect/insult but the term “E” used for Isaan/Lao speakers are referred to women and young girls. In the lakorn Weir’s character calls Stephany’s character E-Veung. Weir’s little sister is called by their parents as E-La which is normally called by elders, mostly parents calling their child that. Bak, is used on male. Weir sometimes refer to himself as Bak Tossapol, his parents calls him Bak La.

Aai/Euay: basically the same as the term Pe’. Aai is used for male, Euay for females. For example, P’Weir, Aai Weir. P’Bella, Euay Bella (LOL)

Por Yai: This term is used to address Jampi and Jampun’s dad, Por Yai Kom. Por Yai is different from Poo Yai which means Village Chief. I guess Por Yai is to address someone that has an influential power in the village. Sometimes Pol’s mom is addressed as Mae Yai which can be translated to madam.

La/Nang:ย We know that Pol’s little sister is being called E-La. La is used to call little girls and/or it can be an endearing name to call your children. Bak La/E-La. Nang is normally used to call a female who is younger than you or women in general.

Seua Rong Hai: The reason I didn’t leave a note in the episode itself because it was too long to explain. Seua Rong Hai is a Northeastern Thai local food cooked from brisket of beef, flavored with spices, grilled rare or medium cooked, sliced into small pieces, and served with sticky rice and other dishes. The literal translation means crying tiger. Now before you freak out, the beef does not come from tigers. It’s cow beef. The reason they name it “Seua Rong Hai” is because this is the only part of the meat that a tiger can’t reach or eat from a cow because this particular section of the meat is guarded by the cow’s rib cage. So people jokingly assume the tiger will be crying over this meat hahaha. In episode 6, Chilo did say Tigers Don’t Cry which can be translated to Seua Mai Rong Hai. I guess what she cooked, a tiger can eat it I supposed because the tigers won’t be crying hahaha.

List updated July 8, 2019

ย

ย

1. Charm says:

thank you soo much dear..love learning about thailand culture

2. tex says:

Very cool! Thanks for the explanations.

3. callie89 says:

Thank you for all the explanations. It does help. Psst….I am rather enjoying this lakorn. Thank you for subbing it. ๐Ÿ˜‰

4. Thank you for subbing. Just started. Not a Stephany fan at all but this being classic Weir will probably overshadow all my issues;)

5. lawoon says:

Thank you for subbing that lakorn..i’m weir’s fan..love to wacht his lakorns..

6. Zainy Shameel says:

Thank u ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™ so much u really a great ๐Ÿ‘ job Iโ€™m also watching upcoming episodes of this drama ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

7. Rovelyn Rafael Valera says:

Thank you for subbing it..
    I love weir a lot,haha..
    Please ,sub also the upcoming episodes ,patiently waiting for them to finish๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ˜˜

8. Adelene says:

Oooh, I canโ€™t wait to start this. Had mixed feelings initially about watching coz it felt like a country bumpkin kinda lakorn especially with that folk singing and dancing. Donโ€™t get me wrong, those scenes cracked me up so much I wasnโ€™t sure if I can watch the entire lakorn without tears and cramps, lol.

But since itโ€™s Weir I know he never disappoints. Heโ€™s such a funny guy too plus there will be lotsa shirtless scenes and no fake kissing for sure!!

9. The Aspiring Nomads says:

Thippy, Thank You for all your hard work especially taking the time to sub the songs. I find it adds so much to the overall experience.

10. Thank you Thippy. I am waiting for more subs to start watching and thanks a lot for telling us about Isaan terms. Best,

11. thanks

12. lu225 says:

Thank you so much for subbing it. Patiently waiting for the new Weir lakorn.

13. Agiths44 says:

14. Jane says:

So exited! I canโ€™t wait๐Ÿคช

15. Nur Amalia says:

Cannot wait to watch it. Thank you Thippy for sub it.

1. Mylene says:

16. Susu na! More power over to you! <3

1. tesstsc says:

Thanks, Thippy! Love learning more about Thailand, the Thai language and everything else Thai. Also love your choice of lakorns for subbing ๐Ÿฅฐ

17. Su su! I hope the PLOT gives you energy for the songs!
    I’m so excited!!!

Thank you very much for this extra effort so we can understand and enjoy it better!

Speaking of PLOTS, there was a scene where he went running but had a tank top on. I was like El would be disappointed haha. Besides I dont think it would be practical for him to be shirtless running on a bridge where cars drive by in a city ๐Ÿคฃ

1. Lol… There have been many times that wasn’t practical and still PLOT, but it’s ok… We still have many episodes left to enjoy it. I do hope they feed us lots of PLOTS.

btw, I imagine him running bit with the green thing hahahahahajjaja